Welcome to the Spanish Education Fund
The Spanish Education Fund (SEF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization formed in 2009. Our purpose is to raise money and recruit parent volunteers to support the International Teaching Intern Program at Eagle Heights Spanish Immersion School (K-6), Central Middle School (7-8) and Eden Prairie High School (9-12).
Interns from Spanish speaking countries from around the world assist teachers and students in classrooms at these schools, providing a unique educational resource that has been proven extremely valuable to language acquisition, by bring their language and cultures to life. As a result, students become more confident in their ability to communicate in Spanish and create connections to people and places outside of their own world.
In addition to fundraising, we work with school staff to review and select intern candidates, recruit host and buddy families for the interns from our parent community for the duration of their stay, collect donations of winter clothing, organize parent volunteers to provide transportation for interns, and many other things to ensure interns have a positive experience while in the U.S. gaining valuable experience in the field of education.
Support the Eden Prairie Spanish immersion program, through sustainable funding, to host the best volunteer international Spanish speaking interns and provide other educational and cultural resources.
Thank you to all the families who attended Cinco de Mayo Fiesta, volunteered in the planning or at the event, donated to the auction or cork pull or bid on an auction item!
Thanks to everyone’s generous support, we raised over $11,000 at this year’s event.
One of the event’s highlights was this year’s intern video.
We also appreciate everyone who took the time to share feedback on how to improve the program. The best way for some of those suggestions to become reality is for more volunteers. We specifically need these volunteers for next school year:
- Secretary – Do you have 1-3 hours per month available for volunteering? If so, SEF would love to have you as our next Secretary. There are existing meeting note templates and tools to enable success in this volunteer role. If you are interested, please contact Sarah Bailey.
Intern Committee Members
- Host Family Coordinator – Summer is the busy time for this role! Families are matched in late July/early August and there are home visits, an orientation session and welcome picnic. During the school year, it is about 1-2 hours per month.
- Events & Driving Coordinator – There is some prep work in the summer to plan the calendar for the year, and then it is 1-2 hours per month during the school year
Fundraising Committee Members
- These roles help with the Annual Contribution Campaign, Teacher Time Raffle and our Cinco de Mayo Fiesta. Even if you only have a few hours, we can use your help to plan these and other events!
- Host Families – to have interns, we need host families! We currently have six confirmed interns and expect we’ll end up with 10 – 12 for next school year. We need hosts or we cannot have interns. If you are interested in being a Host Family, please fill out the Host Family Application today.
- Buddy Families – we usually have two buddy families per intern, so we’ll need 20 – 24 buddy families for next school year. If you are interested in being a Buddy Family, please fill out the Buddy Family Application today.
If you’d like to talk to a previous host or buddy family to learn more, let us know and we’ll connect you!
If you are interested in hosting or have questions about hosting, contact Sarah Bailey.
Learn more about volunteering as a family on our SEF Volunteer page.
Thank you to all the families who have already made their annual contribution! Annual Contributions are the SEF‘s main source of funding for the Intern Program. We receive no financial support from the school district or schools. The intern program is 100% parent funded. As we have fewer interns this year, our 2021-22 fundraising goal is ~$50,000. If we do not reach our goal we may need to reduce the number of interns in our schools during a “normal” school year.
You can make your annual contribution below or online at www.spanisheducationfund.org. You can also set up budget friendly monthly payments via PayPal using the subscribe button!
Your support is vital to the continuation of this important component of our children’s immersion education. Thank you for your support!
Don’t forget… employer matching and workplace-based donation campaigns are another source of funding for the intern program. Many employers will match their employee’s donation, doubling the gift. Several families participate in these each year. To find out if your company matches, contact your human resources department.
Monthly Annual Contribution
Want to spread out your Annual Contribution into budget friendly monthly payments? Select a monthly payment option from the drop down menu and click the SUBSCRIBE button below instead to make monthly Annual Contribution donations.
|Monthly Payment Options|
Make checks payable to the Spanish Education Fund and mail to:
c/o Eagle Heights Spanish Immersion School
13400 Staring Lake Parkway
Eden Prairie, MN 55347
SEF Federal Tax ID# 27-0584708
Spanish Education Fund | firstname.lastname@example.org | Expanding our children’s world